Whenever we talk about symptoms of Anxiety disorder, images of worried, tense, and fearful individuals come to our mind. Anxiety is a nagging feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about something with an uncertain outcome.
Often it is a feeling of fearing and expecting the worst to happen. They often feel drained and tired or easily moved to tears. A person suffering from Anxiety is just unable to relax and stay calm for long.
Today I will be listing 12 very common symptoms of anxiety that are often neglected by the family and even your family physician. The next time , someone you care about complains about any of these symptoms, it should ring alarm bells for a possible mental health issue.
Most common fears in anxiety are –
- a fear of dark
- a fear of strangers (more common in children),
- a fear of being left alone
- a fear of animals
- a fear of heights
- a fear of crowded places
2. Sleep disturbances
Often disturbances in sleep are one of the first symptoms of anxiety disorder.
- Difficulty in falling asleep, disturbed sleep, unsatisfying sleep and not feeling refreshed on waking, feeling tired on waking, too many dreams, nightmares, night terrors.
3. Intellectual Changes
- Difficulty in concentration
- poor memory
4. Depressed mood
Sometimes instead of typical anxiety , a person may exhibit these symptoms of depressed mood
- Loss of interest in activities which they enjoyed earlier
- Not deriving pleasure from their regular hobbies,
- feeling depressed ,
- sudden waking up with a jolt ,very early in morning
- diurnal swing in mood – feeling more depressed in morning
5. Muscular Symptoms
- Pains and aches
- twitching, increased muscle stiffness
- sudden jerks
- grinding of teeth (often mistaken as symptom of worms by parents)
- unsteady voice
6. Sensory Symptoms
Symptoms of anxiety can cause altered sensations in the body
- Ringing in ears
- blurring of vision
- hot or cold flushes
- feelings of weakness
- pricking, numbing or tingling sensation in any part of the body
7. Heart Symptoms
A typical attack of anxiety /panic disorder can often mimic a heart attack
- Pounding heart (palpitations),
- pain in chest
- throbbing of vessels
- feeling of faintness
- missing one or more heartbeats.
8. Respiratory symptoms
Acute anxiety can cause the following symptoms:
- A feeling of pressure or tightness in chest
- feeling as if one would choke
- deep sighing or shortness of breath.
9. Abdominal symptoms
The most common symptoms of Anxiety Disorder are felt in the gut, they are :
- Problem in swallowing
- pain in the abdomen
- burning sensations in chest or abdomen
- abdominal fullness
- nausea or vomiting
- loud gurgling gut sounds
- frequent or loose stool ,
- loss of weight
10. Sexual symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
Anxiety Disorder can commonly affect the sexual well-being of a person.
The common symptoms are :
- Frequent urge to pee
- Not getting your periods
- Getting a heavier than usual period
- Development of sexual frigidity in women
- Premature ejaculation
- Reduced desire for sex
- Erectile dysfunction ( inability to achieve or sustain an erection)
11. Autonomic symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
- Dry mouth
- Sudden flushing or turning pale
- Sweat a lot even in cold weather,
12. Body Language in Anxiety Disorder
The body language of someone suffering from Acute anxiety is often a giveaway.
- Restlessness or pacing,
- Trembling of hands,
- Furrowed brow with strained face , pale face
- Sighing or rapid shallow respiration
- Constantly trying to swallow back , feeling a lump in throat
If you notice any of these symptoms in a loved one , do make sure to discuss it with your doctor… and don’t forget to share this with your friends!
” This post is a part of Blogchatter’s initiative #CauseAChatter “
Image -designed on Canva