Book Title – The Mysterious affair at Styles
Author – Agatha Christie
Genre – Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Price – Paperback at Rs 143/- on Amazon.in
About “The Mysterious Affair at Styles”
The story starts when Hastings is injured and transported home to England from the First World War. Since he has no family, he accepts the invitation from his old friend John Cavendish to spend his sick leave at their home the lovely Styles Court. Here, Hastings meets Mrs. Inglethorp, John’s stepmother, and Alfred, her new husband and Mary, John’s very charming wife. Hastings starts to realize that things are not what they seem despite the calm surface. When Mrs. Inglethorp is found poisoned, all fingers point to Alfred, the husband. It is then that Hercule Poirot, a mutual friend and a famous Belgian detective is asked to step in and find the culprit.
What makes “The Mysterious Affair at Styles” special?
I think “The Mysterious Affair at Styles” by Agatha Christie is one of her best mysteries for these reasons:
- Agatha Christie’s First Novel “The Mysterious Affair at Styles” is Agatha Christie’s debut novel. The Mysterious Affair at Styles, was Agatha’s response to of a dare from her sister Madge who challenged her to write a detective story.
- Introduction of Hercule Poirot: This was the novel that has the legendary Hercule Poirot making his first as a detective. Introducing such an iconic character in a well-crafted mystery captivated readers and established Poirot as a beloved and enduring figure in detective fiction.
- Innovative Plotting: The novel is well-known for its intricate and innovative plotting. Christie was skilled at laying down multiple clues and red herrings, keeping readers guessing until the very end. The story’s clever twists and turns, along with Poirot’s astute deductions, make it an engaging and intellectually stimulating read.
- Strong Characterization: Agatha Christie excelled at creating vivid and memorable characters. Each member of the household at Styles Court, where the murder occurs, is carefully crafted with unique traits and motivations, making them plausible suspects. Readers are drawn into the lives of the characters, trying to decipher their secrets and hidden motives.
- Setting and Atmosphere: The novel’s English country house setting, a staple of the Golden Age detective fiction, adds to the charm and appeal of the story. The atmosphere of an enclosed setting with a limited pool of suspects heightens the tension and mystery.
- Classic Whodunit: “The Mysterious Affair at Styles” embodies the classic whodunit format, with a closed circle of suspects and a murder to be solved. Christie’s skill in orchestrating the investigation, revealing clues, and creating a satisfying resolution set the standard for many subsequent mystery novels.
- Reader Engagement: Agatha Christie had a talent for engaging her readers by making them feel like amateur detectives, inviting them to solve the case alongside Poirot. The novel’s interactive nature and the sense of participation in the investigation make it an enjoyable and immersive experience.
- Enduring Legacy: Being the first novel featuring Hercule Poirot, “The Mysterious Affair at Styles” holds a special place in the hearts of Agatha Christie fans. It laid the foundation for a long and successful series of Poirot novels and firmly established Christie as the “Queen of Mystery.”
Are you fond of mystery novels ?
Have you read “The Mysterious Affair at Styles “? Let me know in the comments below.
Before moving on , here are some more book reviews that may interest you :
- Medical Maladies | Haris Qadeer | Book Review
- Happening by Annie Ernaux | Book Review
- Siddartha by Hermann Hesse | Book Review
- Book Review : Good Girl Bad Girl by Ann Girdharry
- Book Review | Immigrants | Sam Boyd
- Book Review:World Travel In a Low Budget
- Book Review : Veerappan : Chasing The Brigand
- The Ex-Factor |Harini Srinivasan| Book Review