There is a lot of hype about the use of Vitamin C in skin care and today I bring to you the honest review of The Ordinary Vitamin C 23% suspension with HA spheres 2% . We shall also discuss how to improve your Vitamin C intake and what is the role of Vitamin C in skin care.
ABOUT THE BRAND – The Ordinary is a brand from DECIEM. DECIEM is an umbrella of brands focused on advanced functional beauty. The Ordinary is an evolving collection of treatments offering familiar, effective clinical technologies positioned to raise pricing and communication integrity in skincare.
If you have dark spots, you should not ignore using Vitamin C
IMPORTANCE OF VITAMIN C
We all know the Vitamin C also known as Ascorbic Acid helps in repair and regeneration of tissues,it is necessary for a healthy immune response and also plays an important part in the production of Neurotransmitters.
Image courtesy -Pexels.com
A deficiency of Vitamin C can cause Infections ,Scurvy (bleeding gum disease), dry brittle hair and unhealthy skin general lethargy etc.
Vitamin C has shown great results on the skin when applied directly to the skin , improving brightness , fading marks , helping healing and improving wrinkles .
NATURAL SOURCES OF VITAMIN C
The best source of Vitamin C are Amla (Indian Gooseberry ), Guava, Kale, Coloured Peppers, Kiwi, Seabuck thorn, Kakadu plum and citrus fruits.
Image courtesy -Pexels.com
Image courtesy – Pexels.com
How can The Ordinary VITAMIN C suspension help your Skin ?
Because Vitamin C applied to the skin has shown a significant improvement in the appearance of dark spots, fading of dark spots , skin lightening , brightening and preventing wrinkles , it is widely being used in cosmetics and skin care products .
Vitamin C for application is commercially available in the following preparations and since Vitamin C can cause skin irritation and is also not a very stable compound , you can choose according to your need and suitability.
The Ordinary Vitamin C Skin care range
This may sound very technical and even boring or useless but let me tell you that this information is going to be very handy if you wish to get the best results out of your Vitamin C serum and avoid any unpleasant sensation
1. Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
This format is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, there are 2 important things to consider: 1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin’s tolerance to such high exposure is elevated; 2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.
This formula feels gritty on the skin for a few seconds.
2.Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone
This formulation comes in a suspension form but in light silicones base for a smooth, non-gritty skin finish. Despite the very light forms of silicone used, silicones do impair dermal exposure to Vitamin C slightly but the additional (30%) added helps in overcoming this drawback.
3. 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder
The format of this formula is a very fine, anhydrous, L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, a very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation,
4. Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%
The Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% formula combines two of the most powerful brightening agents ,it can feel slightly “oily” for a few seconds after application .
5. Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
more stable in water but it is less potent than direct L-Ascorbic Acid. Being more compatible with water allows for a very pleasant serum texture. It is considered a gold standard of Vitamin C derivatives due to its high stability and comfortable use, but it’s impossible to achieve extremely high L-Ascorbic Acid potency with this solution
6. Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10%
This is a water-soluble derivative of Vitamin C, less potent than pure L-Ascorbic acid and it comes in a light cream form that offers 10% pure MAP , it’s brightening effect is more powerful than other Vitamin C derivatives.
7. Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
It is one of the most physically stable derivatives of Vitamin C but, being a derivative, it is not as potent as pure L-Ascorbic Acid. It comes in combination with Vitamin F a.k.a. essential fatty acids
8. Ethylated Ascorbic Acid 15% Solution
This is a water free formulation that might feel slightly “oily” for a few seconds after application, so if you have dry skin or live in a dry climate , this might be a good choice.
WHAT I LOVED ABOUT THE ORDINARY VITAMIN C SUSPENSION 23% +HA SPHERES 2%
1. The Ordinary products are free of parabens, sulphates, mineral oil, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, animal oils, coal tar dyes, formaldehyde, mercury, oxybenzone and cruelty-free.
2. The product is much more cheaper than what luxury brands charge for the same product.
3. I like how they educate the consumer about the composition of their products and help in making an informed choice.
4. I could see a visible difference in my skin tone after two days itself ( nights actually since I only applied at bedtime ) and after about 15 days my friends complimented me on my skin they noticed that the dark spots on my face were less visible and my skin looked more even toned. Tanning was much less visible and my skin looked bouncy and healthy.
5. My skin looked slightly less dry and dehydrated, less tired.
6. Plastic Tube packaging which is easy to squeeze out the product and sturdy and spill proof enough to carry in the bag.
WHAT I DISLIKED ABOUT THE ORDINARY VITAMIN C SUSPENSION 23% +HA SPHERES 2%
1. I wish it was cheaper
2. It has small particles that feel slightly rough and also sting my skin for about 10 seconds , the stinging is mild though and I have sensitive skin so hopefully others may not even feel the irritation.
3. It is essential to use a high SPF ( about 30+) sunscreen or sunblock when using this cream.
I rate it a 5/5 💖
I am loving my skin😇 and loving this product !
Will I buy it again ?
With the amount of compliments I have been getting lately Definitely !!
I am eager to know if you have tried using Vitamin C serums or any such HG skin care products and if yes then share your experience here and let others know too!